You have no items in your shopping basket.
Butternut Squash, Butter Bean and Spinach Curry
A mild, light and creamy vegetarian curry inspired by the flavours of Southern Thailand. It combines onions, garlic, fresh ginger, lemongrass, butternut squash and Massaman curry paste in coconut milk with butter beans and wilted spinach. The curry is finished with aromatic chopped coriander and a squeeze of lime juice. Serve with roti flat breads or jasmine rice
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 white onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 40g fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 stick lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoons Massaman curry paste
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 x 400ml can coconut milk
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 500g butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and cut into 2.5cm dice
- 150g canned, cooked butter beans (drained weight)
- 200g baby spinach leaves, washed
- Juice of half a lime
- 2-3 teaspoons light soy sauce, to season
- 1 mild red chilli, seeds removed and chopped
- Handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil over a medium heat, add the onion, ginger and lemongrass and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the curry paste, lime leaves, coconut milk, vegetable stock and the squash. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15-18 minutes until the squash is tender.
- Stir in the butter beans and add the spinach one handful at a time allowing it to wilt before adding the next.
- Stir in the lime juice and season to taste with light soy sauce. Finish with fresh chilli and coriander.
- Massaman curry paste is an aromatic combination of Indian and Thai flavours.
- Adjust the quantity to taste as ready-made pastes do vary in heat.